Small teeth in adults can make you self-conscious about smiling broadly. But you have options: teeth that are too small for your mouth can be lengthened in a number of ways. The first step is to contact your SoHo cosmetic dentist for an evaluation. You may need just a little dental bonding, or you may benefit from veneers for small teeth, which make teeth longer and enhance your smile. If you’re tired of covering your mouth when you smile, visit Sohosmile for the answers you’ve been seeking.
Whether due to genetics — a condition commonly called microdontia — or retained baby teeth, having teeth that seem too small in adult life may make you feel embarrassed about your smile. Because of small teeth in adults, your gums may be too prominent or your teeth may have a squared, baby-tooth appearance.
A good cosmetic dentist like Dr. John Koutsoyiannis of Sohosmile analyzes your facial structure to devise the best method for altering the shape of your teeth. As a result, he can make your prominent teeth longer and wider as needed.
The ideal shape of your teeth should be longer than wide. The line of your smile should follow the curve of your lower lip line. Dr. John understands the nuance of facial aesthetics, pleasing proportions, mathematics and artistic elegance. Fixing small teeth may be part of a smile makeover, too.
Procedures to Make Teeth Longer
The goal when altering your small teeth is to lengthen and widen them to be proportionately pleasing and appropriate for your mouth, your other teeth and your facial structure. Your cosmetic dentist in SoHo can accomplish this goal in a number of ways, including:
- Dental bonding. By applying tooth-colored composite material to the sides and ends of your teeth, Dr. John forms and polishes until each tooth is the desired size. Issues regarding durability may arise if multiple teeth are involved in this procedure.
- Crowns. Each tooth may be encased in a crown, formed to your custom size. While crowns are durable and natural-looking, the cost can be prohibitive if many teeth need to be treated. Additionally, crowns possibly require more of your natural tooth material to be removed, which may be problematic with small teeth in adults.
- Porcelain veneers for small teeth. Ultra-thin veneers can be molded and placed over your small teeth. This method is one of the most popular due to the control Dr. John has regarding the look and shape of each tooth.
Benefits of Small Teeth Veneers
You may find that veneers for small teeth meet your desire to make your overall smile more pleasing. Other benefits include:
- Since your teeth are already small, no grinding or altering is needed.
- Discoloration from root canal therapy, dental fillings or other procedures are concealed effectively.
- This non-invasive approach works to make teeth longer with no drilling, no anesthetics and no grinding.
- The natural structure of your teeth is maintained.
- Gaps and other irregularities are covered up.
- Chipped and broken edges are smoothed and straightened.
Find an experienced cosmetic dentist to do the work, which takes the worry out of the equation. Sohosmile is conveniently located in SoHo, a short trip from Downtown NYC, the Financial District, NoHo, Tribeca, Greenwich Village, South Village, West Village, Nolita, Hudson Square and Battery Park City.
Procedure for Small Teeth Veneers
Usually accomplished in one or two visits to Sohosmile, the procedure to make teeth longer is painless. The Sohosmile team examines your teeth and smile, takes x-rays if necessary and makes impressions of your teeth. They may also take pictures of your face and head from the front and side to ensure proper tooth length, shape and shade. The laboratory then makes your veneers from this information.
The laboratory takes between one and three weeks to craft your custom veneers. When they’re ready, you’re called back into the office. At your second appointment, your teeth are cleaned, prepped, polished and etched slightly for proper bonding. The veneers are cemented into place using a blue spectrum light to quicken the cementing process. Then comes the final polishing.
You may need to return for a follow-up visit a couple weeks after the procedure. Your SoHo dentist wants to make sure the veneers are polished correctly and your gums aren’t being adversely affected.
After You Get Veneers for Small Teeth
Aftercare for veneers mimics good dental hygiene: daily brushing, flossing and regular checkups. The natural-looking veneer material mimics the optical quality of your natural teeth, ensuring that they appear just like your other teeth. The extra length may also provide needed facial structural support, creating a more youthful, fuller look to your lips and cheeks.
Veneers for small teeth are relatively durable and stain-resistant. This solution for your smile can last from 15 to 20 years. Although veneers are more expensive than dental bonding, the cost may be negligible when you consider how long you’ll benefit from them.