Dental veneers can correct several visible and dental health issues. Veneers are extremely thin tooth-colored porcelain shells that cover and protect damaged teeth. Porcelain provides a natural-looking surface. It’s strong, long-lasting and stain-resistant. And these veneers require less tooth enamel to be removed than a crown.
Getting porcelain veneers is a cosmetic dentistry procedure. But besides providing a makeover for your smile, they also deliver some proven health benefits. Veneers protect your teeth from additional damage, saving you the expense of more invasive treatments in the future.
- Improve the durability of your teeth
- Limit the amount of tooth enamel that needs to be removed
When You Want Veneers
Your decision to add veneers to your teeth is permanent since some enamel has to be removed to fit the veneers properly. Lower Manhattan dentist Dr. John can explain the process. You should visit best dentist for veneers when you want:
- To hide broken, chipped or cracked teeth
- To change the appearance of your smile
- To whiten stained or discolored teeth when other methods haven’t worked
- To cover one or more gaps in your smile
- To protect worn-out tooth enamel
- To correct the look of misaligned, irregular or uneven teeth
Whatever your reason for getting veneers, your teeth definitely look better afterward. Whether you simply want to improve your smile or you want to prevent further serious dental issues in the future, porcelain veneers just may be the best choice for you.
Types of Dental Veneers
Commonly, dental veneers are created using porcelain that’s custom-made to fit onto each tooth. Depending on your individual needs and overall oral health, you may need:
- Porcelain veneers. The most common type of veneers used at Sohosmile, porcelain veneers are made in a lab by hand. A master ceramicist layers porcelain to create a truly lifelike result. Each case is always custom-made to be one-of-a-kind.
- Composite resin veneers. Not as strong or long-lasting as porcelain veneers, composite resin veneers are less expensive, which saves on your dental veneers cost. They’re easier to fix and can be put in place in a single visit to your SoHo dentist.
- Prepless veneers. Sometimes Invisalign clear aligners, along with prepless veneers, are used when you don’t want any of your natural teeth removed. Prepless veneers are also a good option if you have undersized teeth.
- Alternatives to veneers. Once you get veneers, you’ll always have them. If you don’t want to undergo the procedure, try some alternatives to veneers, such as dental bonding, teeth whitening or Invisalign aligners.
What to Expect from the Procedure
A dental veneer procedure is usually completed in two visits. Your first visit starts with an exam. Your mouth must be healthy to get veneers. You have to wait if you have any dental health issues, such as:
When you’re given a clean bill of health, your SoHo dentist takes x-rays, prepares your teeth and matches the veneer shade to your natural teeth or whatever shade you choose.
Within one to two weeks after your first visit, your veneers are finished. After checking the color and the fit, dental cement is used to bind each veneer to your tooth. Blue spectrum light speeds up the cement’s hardening time. It’s normally a painless procedure that takes about two hours. Once the procedure is completed, your teeth are cleaned.
Risks, Results and Recovery
While risks are low, they are possible. Your dentist could accidentally take too much enamel off a tooth. You could suffer from an inflamed nerve in your tooth, making eating painful. This rare side effect requires a root canal procedure to correct. Minimize your risks by visiting a skilled cosmetic dentist like Dr. John at Sohosmile to do the procedure.
Get the Most from Your Dental Veneers Cost
Since adding veneers is considered a cosmetic procedure, your insurance company typically won’t cover your dental veneers cost. Your insurance policy may cover the cost, however, when veneers or crowns are necessary to treat broken teeth.
For the best dental porcelain veneer results, visit Dr. John at the dental clinic Downtown NYC. He’s a specialist with veneers, and Sohosmile is his boutique cosmetic dental practice. His office is in SoHo, but it services all the surrounding neighborhoods, too, such as:
- Downtown NYC
- Battery Park City
- South Village
- The Financial District
- Greenwich Village
- Hudson Square
- West Village